If you are a 90’s baby then you must be familiar with this face. She is Tyra Banks, and you most likely have watched her on America’s Next Top Model Show. Aside from producing and chairing the show which is super commendable, here are seven other things you should know about Tyra.
1. Tyra was teased for her appearance and considered an “ugly duckling” while growing up. Initially rejected by six modelling agencies before she was signed by L.A. Models at age 15, a decade later, she emerged as one of the world’s award winning top-earning models with a reality television series “America’s Next Top Model” that has produced a global empire from a series of firsts for black models.
2. Having been a victim of sexual abuse, Tyra has come out several shows including “The Oprah Winfrey Show” to speak on abusive relationships, first to encourage other victims and also implore them to speak up about their ordeal. Tyra is also big on “Blackness” and she uses several mediums to post about her natural hair on social media to preach self love, inclusivity and diversity which many people find inspiring!
3. Tyra is one of four African Americans and seven women to have repeatedly ranked among the world’s most influential people by Time magazine. In 1997, she received the VH1 award for “Supermodel of the Year”, she was the first African American chosen for the cover of the Victoria’s Secret catalog and became a Victoria’s Secret Angel and No. 1 spot on Forbes’ list of the top-earning women in primetime for two years in a row.
4. Tyra established the TZONE program, which is aimed at leadership and life skills development. She also runs the Tyra Banks Scholarship, a fund aimed at providing African-American girls the opportunity to attend her alma mater- Immaculate Heart High School. In 2005, TZONE transformed from a camp into a public charity called “The Tyra Banks TZONE.”
6. In early 2018, Tyra co- authored a book with her mum titled, “Perfect Is Boring: 10 Things My Crazy, Fierce Mama Taught Me About Beauty, Booty, and Being a Boss”, In the book, she explore topics many consider taboos and also reveals how proud she is of her culture and her African American heritage.
7. Business woman extraordinaire, Tyra is the CEO of Tyra Banks Company where beauty meets entertainment. She also developed “Fierce Capital”, the investment arm of the Tyra Banks Company, which invests in early-stage companies, including firms that are female-led or female-focused and is a strong advocate of breaking the “Silent Suffering” syndrome and adversely speaks for inclusion of black and diverse women in the model industry.
Whats not to love?!?!