Everyone’s talking about her. From Oprah, to Jennifer Hudson. From The New York Times, to The Guardian; the whole world is paying attention to this magnificently talented thespian. Of course, it also noteworthy to mention that she picked up the win for leading actress in a musical for her role as Celie in The Colour Purple.
Everyone agrees that this is an honour well-deserved.
And because we’re totally inspired by this incredible woman, here’s 10 things you should know about British-Born Cynthia Erivo:
- She’s the daughter of Nigerian immigrants, who moved to England. She was born in London and raised there by her mother, a visiting nurse specializing in child development, who sensed early on that her daughter might become a performer.
- She started out young – involved in critically acclaimed performances from as young as 11
- She’s diminutive (5 foot 1), and is extremely stylish and fashionable (Beautiful blonde hair, occasional blue lipstick, and the prettiest lashes this side of town).
- She may be a small-sized woman, but she’s a great singer and has got an incredibly powerful voice
- She is episodically vegan, with a passion for herbal teas and a treasure chest of candy in her dressing rooms.
- She’s proudly Catholic; quoting her: “My Faith is With Me Always.”
- She loves stage combat and swordplay
- She’s an avid knitter
- She also longs to play Sarah Vaughan, Tina Turner, Serena Williams and Cleopatra.
- She’s a fit fiend – boxes, does yoga and lifts weights.
Go power woman!